Saturday 3 February 2018

Day 33/365: The things we do...

...for the love of photography

The snow came, and continued to fall overnight. Indeed, it went beyond the forecast and kept on falling. About the time I was supposed to be going to work, it was still falling. Would the uni be closed? I came home prepared last night, I brought work home that I could do in the event that we couldn't get to work. I was prepared. 

But let me let you in on a little secret dear reader. Amateur photographers are prepared to do the strangest things...in the end, the uni didn't close for the day, we were simply told to consider changes to the timetable and take care getting to work. Technically, I could have stayed home, done the work that needed to be done and not worried about disrupted timetables. 

But the photo-tragic in me wondered if, with this snow this morning, there mightn't be a money shot with snow on those plum blossoms I found the other day, near campus, at the other end of town, which would take nearly two hours to see, just in case...there might be snow on the blossoms.

So yes, dear reader, I went. Not out of any sense of obligation to do my marking in my office, more a pressing need to discover snow on the blossoms. 

Tragic, yes?

So I went. 

Immediately I realised the snow today was different from last week. It was falling but not really sticking around. I started to wonder whether this would be futile...

Counting the snowflakes

Snowflakes gather

Keep on falling

Snow on the roof

Blossom sans snow

Hanging out

Solo performer

Bunching

Melted snow drop? I'll go with that 


Well, it was futile, as it turned out. No snow on the blossoms, in fact hardly any snow at all. And I learned today that snow basically eats itself, for want of a better explanation. Most of the snow that had been hanging around from last week, essentially melted away with today's fall. No, I don't understand it either. 

But at least I got a good deal of marking done and uploaded. Just three days worth left to go...

[Camera : Canon EOS M5, 9.28am-9.29am, 2.47pm-2.52pm; iPhone6s, 1.10pm; 2 February 2018]