Friday 13 October 2017

Day 284, 11 Oct 2017: Talisman of sorts...

Day 284: ...October one pic:one story 11

There was the story of my nan and the cowries the other day, and how, when I listen, I hear the sea, and hear my nan.

Today it is about another little keepsake in the office. Mum has always been incredibly generous at Christmas time, when we were kids and there wasn't much money and now. She always finds 'just the thing'. 

And each year she has always given something of a 'novelty' present, something to make us laugh, something to make us giggle.

And then there was the year of Gumby.

Gumby, traveller, talisman


Some years ago, in fact probably more than twenty years ago, Gumby, the character from our childhood tv programs, made a bit of a comeback, as these things do. That year, Gumby make an appearance in under the Christmas tree and ever since, I've kept it in whatever car I had at the time. As I cleaned out the old car and transferred tapes, CDs, service manuals, first aid kits, spare sunglasses, roadmaps (old school), tissues, towels, steering locks (old school), emergency tool kits etc to the next car, along came Gumby, usually finding pride of place around the rear vision mirror or wherever his flexible arms could hold him. 

Time to move to Japan, no car and could Gumby really bear to be boxed up in a dark room for five years? I don't think so.

And so, here he is. On my computer. Until it is time to go home again and nestle himself back in my next car. 

He is like a talisman, of sorts. 

[Camera : Lumix TZ-85, 4.28pm; 11 October 2017]