Tuesday 11 April 2017

Day 98, 8 Apr 2017: I will make up for it...

Day 98: ...all the sessions

I must confess, dear reader, I am one of those conscientious conference attendee-types. If there are sessions to attend I will attend them. I take my conferences quite seriously. Hence, yesterday has left me feeling just a little, well, guilty...Not so much the Art institute visit which I can include as part of my research but he Chicago Symphony...well, I'm sure there is a good reason in there somewhere...

So today,a redoubling of efforts to get back on conference track. Today is the last day of attendance for me since my plane flies out tomorrow about lunchtime, meaning I will miss much of the last day.

Never mind, today includes a session in the famous Empire Room, an excellent all-women's panel about the Women's March on Washington, just after President Trump's inauguration, and excellent also because The Empire Room just breathes history. 

The ceiling in the Lobby

The clock above the door to the Empire Room

Detail (with palm frond)

Balcony overlooking the Lobby

Political scientists in the Lobby

Seating in the Empire Room 

Chandeliers

Mirrors
Starring an all-women panel


It is here that Frank Sinatra, Judy Garland, Ella Fitzgerald, Harry Belafonte, Louis Armstrong, and Liberace have played over the years. In fact, the corridors of the hotel are replete with the photos of all those who have played and stayed at the Palmer over the years. You could spend your entire stay just taking in all that history. 

I'm sorry to be missing the Sunday sessions but airline timetables will do that to you I suppose.

[Camera : Lumix TZ-85, 12.55pm-12.56pm, 1.10pm-1.16pm; iPhone6S, 1.20pm; 8 April 2017]