Tuesday 11 April 2017

Day 97, 7 Apr 2017: A few diversions...

Day 97: ...for rest and research purposes

When in town, I usually try to plan at least one session off to go and explore my favourite institute in this city, the Art institute of Chicago. It is one block over from the hotel. It is magnificent, in terms of its permanent collections as well as the exhibitions. Luckily for me, this time includes an exhibition of photography from the 1960s and 1970s protests in Japan over the US Alliance and the reclaiming of farm land for the construction of Narita airport. Of course I had to go, for research purposes. 

But first, breakfast...healthy

Early morning commuting

Saints and heroes

Michigan Avenue

Imposing. The Art institute.

Famous AIC lion, exhibit A

Photographs of an exhibition 

Pictures of pictures

The Grand Staircase 


Another of my 'would really really like to see' things has long been the Chicago Symphony Orchestra. Previously, it's been the case that the orchestra wasn't playing or the concerts were sold out or were late into the night (and although the hall is just a block away, I'm a bit cautious), or clashed with my own presentation...

Have flagged this for a while

Big buildings

The entrance

Conference break

Research



...but today, a special lunchtime concert, featuring Truls Mork playing the Dvorak Cello Concerto and conducted by the legendary Charles Dutoit...I think it was meant to be, don't you dear reader?

What a day. And, I think I spotted Truls Mork in the Hotel later that evening...




[Camera : Lumix TZ-85, 8.40am-8.45am, 11.45am-12.38pm, 2.40pm-2.41pm; iPhone6S, 8.00pm; 7 April 2017]