Saturday 29 April 2017

Day 118, 28 Apr 2017: On the verge of Golden Week...

Day 118: ...which is code for 'holidays'

Classes today, but none next week. There is a series of public holidays starting tomorrow (the Showa Emperor's birthday, still recognised even though he died in 1989) that, if you play your cards right, can mean no work through until Monday week. It is known as 'Golden Week'. It doesn't quite work like that for academics (we do have to attend work Monday and Tuesday) but from Wednesday through to Friday there follows the Constitution Day (3 May), the holiday between 3 May and 5 May (really) and 5 May, Children's Day. 

So that might have explained the fatigue in classes today...perhaps the students were thinking of other things. 

I don't know, but increasingly I feel I'm approaching that time that athletes recognise their last game or race in upon them; whatever it is that teachers hang up these days, some days I feel like I'm almost there. 

On the other hand, given the view, I'm not quite ready to give up just yet. 


An overcast start to the day

But yella keeps on working

Duel

Fly by

Duel of another sort

Creating waves

Where X marks the spot


We'll just keep on working. 

In other news, I've completed my first week as a member of a gym. I went four times out of a possible five (I didn't want to overdo it...). I could get used to this. It is an easy way to get over that 10,000 steps per day we all seem to aim for and I reduced the time it took to 'walk' one km from 20 mins to 15 mins and to 'cycle' five km from 23 minutes to just under twenty. I guess I just have to keep on working at it. 

Life, eh. 

[Camera : Lumix TZ-85,  9.51am, 4.01pm-4.20pm; 28 April 2017]